Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Dreams & Waking

Last night I had a dream. I don't really remember what it was except that I was a Native American and that's about the extent that I can recall after a long day of stuff. But what's really important I do remember. When I woke up (more like being forced up... not by anybody in particular just the various duties of the day) I was really really upset. Actually, pissed off is a much more accurate word to use. I was getting extremely upset with group meetings, papers, my job, and all of that stuff. The whole way up to campus I tormented my girlfriend with series upon series of rants and blatherings about how mad I was and how ready I was for school to be done. After all, I just want the weather to be nice and go ride my bike... is that too much to ask? However, when I really reflected on it I was mostly upset that I had to break the dream and leave it. In The Tempest Caliban utters "When I wake I cry to dream again". This is somewhat what I was experiencing except through more aggressive tones. At the brink of waking up I had a massive internal conflict. I knew that if I quickly went back to bed I could easily slip back into the dream I was having and extend my time in those realms for a little longer. However I knew there was stuff that I had to wake up for. In the end waking won out (albeit begrudgingly) and I came to campus when I was supposed to. However I really felt that I understood how Caliban's utterance felt. The state of dreams is blessed and to leave it is one of the most lamentable states of human existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment