Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Magic Word-- Paper Thesis

Sometimes all it takes is the magic word. After class, mere minutes ago, I found the magic word to complete my paper thesis. Originally I had the overwhelming gut feeling that what I wanted to say was "The Last Temptation of Christ is an eastern interpretation of the Gospels". However, the word eastern just wasn't right. I felt like I was a shark circling around the idea/concept that I had the feeling for. It was close. Then, when I repeated my thesis to Dr. Sexson, the heavens opened and the magic term came tumbling down. He said something to the effect of 'I don't think you mean eastern but gnostic'. In that moment I knew that was the word I was looking for. Even with only a limited knowledge that gnosticism is concerned with the pursuit of knowledge through intellectual scholarship I could feel my paper begin to take shape.

Apparently Carrie is doing an independant study of gnosticism and I would love to see a blog post from her or talk one on one about some of its tenants that I will need to know before writing a paper on a subject I am mostly blind to.

As far as writing moves go I think I might open with a bit of a confessional statement about how I've been turned off from any religious belief because of the lack of intellectualism that I encountered and that how the Last Temptation of Christ has been surprisingly religious for me due to its focus on asking questions. It would be a personal anectodote that should segway into my more critical understanding of the novel without damning it to the dangerous waters of personal retellings.

The class discussion today also revealed a surprising amount of material that I plan on using in my paper. Katie's paper topic on the dark epiphany being a precursor for the 'light' (I think that was the word she used) epiphany will have a profound impact on some of the ways I pursue my paper. Also, Joan's questions surrounding sacred duty and right action will also be at the center of my exploration of this text.

One thing that I would like to discuss that I haven't heard or seen if anyone is talking about is the theophany. In this novel there are theophanies very frequently and I would love to explore there different natures and make some assertions in connection to sacred duty/right action and such. If anyone is writing on this subject please let me know and I would love to hear where you are going with it!

Anyway I think I'm getting the momentum going forward to composing a wonderful paper that should be something that I will consider a capstone on my career at this university.

No comments:

Post a Comment